Maharishi University of Management’s graduation is less than two weeks away. Whether you are a student at Maharishi University of Management sticking around town for the Summer, coming home for a visit, or you live here year-round, these 10 things will keep you busy for the season.
1. All Things Italian Street Festival: The All Things Italian Street Festival is a fun, annual, attraction. This year, it’s on Saturday, June 16th. In years past, there have been amazing chalk artists, pasta making stations, fresh filled cannoli, homemade lasagna, all natural gelato, Italian art, music, and cultural presentations. The festival even participated with the Fairfield Go Green Commission by using compostable cups and plates and by powering the string lights with bike generators.
2. Jefferson County Fair: The fair is fun for all ages with fair rides and games with prizes, and of course funnel cakes and a good old fashioned demolition derby. The Jefferson county fair is open from 6/26-7/2.
3. Fairfield eateries: Many of the restaurants in the Fairfield area thrive during the summer with summer treats like delicious smoothies, iced coffees, and local summer salads. It’s a good time to take lunch to-go with friends and enjoy it in the park on the square.
4. Fairfield Loop Trail: The Jefferson County Trails Council recently finished the Fairfield loop trail – a beautiful 16 mile cirle around Fairfield with woodlands, prairies, and lakes. It is just one part of the 30 mile trail system that includes major bridges, old railroad corridors and a state preserve.
5. Artwalks: 1st Fridays Artwalk happens on every month, on the first Friday of the month. Each event has a theme, and during the Summer the activities spill out of the galleries and onto the park and into the streets. In June, expect a celebration of art and music; in July, get ready for “bark in the park,” when you can bring your favorite furry friend in a costume and there are judges to award the winner of the greatest costume. Local businesses, galleries, and restaurants are open during these festive events.
6.Farmer’s Market: Every Wednesday evening and Saturday morning May – October Howard Park is buzzing with people at the Farmer’s Market. The market features vegetables and fruits, meat, baked goods, herbs, handicrafts, flowers, bedding plants, and more. Much of the produce is certified organic, as are some of the baked goods.
7. Summer Grilling and Picnics: Chautauqua Park is a great place for a BBQ. There is a lot to do at the park while you’re waiting for the food to cook, like playing disc golf on the 18 hole course in the park. There are numerous shelters with picnic tables, playgrounds with slides and swings, as well as, a .5 mile bike/walking path.
8. Relax out-of-doors: Nothing says Summer quite like taking a day to tan or read a book outside. There are some beautiful places to lounge about like Waterworks park (a short walk from campus). Waterworks has a shelter, playground, roped off swimming area, and lots of grassy areas to lay down a blanket or towel.
9. Radiance Dairy Ice Cream: Radiance Dairy is Fairfield, Iowa’s organic, sustainable, grass-fed dairy. The farm takes an innovative approach to dairy farming by integrating livestock into the landscape in a ecologically sound way with rotational grazing and the use of alternative energy systems. They offer their products only locally, including soft served ice cream (available at Everybody’s Whole Foods in vanilla and mango with the option of chocolate on top). It’s a great way to cool down from a hot summer day! YUM!
10. Swimming: The Maharishi University of Management swimming pool is open from June til September. There is a sand volley ball court nearby and it is close to the Golden Dome Market, a great place to grab a cold treat.
Discover other things to do in Fairfield:
|Anna Bruen is a MUM alumna who graduated with a degree in Sustainable Living. Anna is the resident blogger here at MUM. To learn more about Anna take a look at her introduction post.|